Discover the best trampoline for gymnastics that will elevate your skills to new heights! We’ve scoured the market and used our coaching experience to bring you top picks that are ideal for gymnastics.
Dive in to find your perfect bounce partner and take your gymnastics journey to the next level!
Table of Contents
- Factors to Consider When Choosing a Trampoline for Gymnastics
- Top 5 Trampolines for Gymnastics
- Best Overall: JumpKing 10′ x 16′ Rectangular
- Runner Up: SkyBound 10′ x 17′ Rectangular
- Best Under $600: Giantex 8′ x 14′ Rectangular
- Best Premium: Happy Trampoline 10′ x 20′
- Best Alternative: Alley Oop Power Bounce
- Tips for Using a Trampoline for Gymnastics
- Maintenance and Care for Trampolines
Gymnastics is a highly dynamic sport that involves performing acrobatic skills, flips, and tumbling. Trampolines play a crucial role in gymnastics training as they provide an extra boost of height and enable gymnasts to practice aerial skills with reduced impact on their joints. When selecting a trampoline for gymnastics, several factors need to be considered to ensure safety and longevity.
|Best Under $600
|JumpKing 10′ x 16′
|SkyBound 10′ x 17′
|Giantex 10′ 14′
|Happy Trampoline 10′ x 20′
|Alley Oop Power Bounce
|No. of Springs
Factors to Consider When Choosing a Trampoline for Gymnastics
Rectangular-shaped trampolines are ideal for gymnasts as they provide length and space to perform the greatest range of gymnastics skills. Round and square-shaped trampolines do not offer the same amount of length so whilst they are still useful for basic skills, a gymnast will become increasingly frustrated with the lack of space.
Rectangular-shaped trampolines also generate more bounce, which is why standard competition trampolines are in this shape as well.
- Safety Features
Safety should be the foremost consideration when choosing a trampoline for gymnastics. Look for features such as sturdy frames, safety nets, and padding that covers the springs and frame edges. A trampoline with an enclosure system provides additional protection, preventing accidental falls.
- Size and Weight Capacity
Consider the size of the trampoline and ensure it has sufficient space for gymnastic-type skills like cartwheels, round-offs, back handsprings and somersaults. Additionally, check the weight capacity to ensure it accommodates the intended users, and includes enough capacity for growth as your children get older.
- Durability and Materials
A trampoline for gymnastics needs to withstand rigorous use. Look for trampolines made from high-quality materials, such as galvanized steel frames and UV-resistant jumping mats. These materials contribute to the trampoline’s durability and longevity.
- Bounce Quality
The bounce quality of a trampoline is crucial for gymnastics training. It should provide a consistent and controlled bounce, allowing gymnasts to execute their movements accurately. Look for trampolines with heavy-duty springs that offer good tension and responsiveness.
- Portability and Storage Options
If you need to transport or store the trampoline frequently, consider its portability and storage options. Look for models that are easy to assemble, disassemble, and fold for convenient storage or transportation.
For many people, portability won’t be an influencing factor as the trampoline will stay in one permanent position.
- Price Range
Trampolines for gymnastics come in a wide range of prices. Set a budget and consider the features and quality that align with your needs. While it’s essential to find a reasonably priced trampoline, remember that investing in a durable and safe option is crucial for long-term use.
Top 5 Trampolines for Gymnastics
Now let’s explore five of the best outdoor trampolines for gymnastics, considering the factors mentioned above:
Let’s dive into the best overall trampoline for gymnastics. JumpKing claims to have the ultimate gymnastics trampoline with its fancy “over-under” spring setup. Happy customers back up the claim, so it seems legit.
Here’s what sets this awesome trampoline apart from the rest. First, it can handle a whopping 400 lbs, making it a heavyweight champ. That means it can accommodate young gymnasts well into their teenage years.
Now, check out the safety net. It’s designed with bent poles that not only keep you safe but also create an illusion of more space. It’s like stepping into a trampoline TARDIS! Plus, the net is securely attached between the springs and the mat, so you can bounce freely without worries.
Let’s talk about the mat. It’s a vibrant green color, and there’s a good reason for that. It’s designed to keep the surface cool even on scorching hot days. The special weave allows proper airflow, so you won’t burn your feet and get blisters. Say goodbye to painful jumps in the summer!
This trampoline is built to last. The frame is made of galvanized steel, so it can handle the test of time. It weighs around 400 lbs, so once you find the perfect spot, moving it will be a tough job. But hey, it will stay strong and give you endless hours of bouncing fun.
Reviewers have lauded the ease with which this trampoline can be assembled, even when undertaken single-handedly.
So, if you want the best trampoline for gymnastics, JumpKing’s got you covered.
Let’s talk about the dimensions of this trampoline. It’s a big one, measuring 10 feet by 17 feet, giving you plenty of space to show off your gymnastic skills in your own backyard. If you want a trampoline that offers room to flaunt your tumbling, this is the one.
Now, let’s appreciate the cool look of this trampoline. It rocks a metallic green and black design that’s modern and eye-catching. It adds a touch of elegance to your outdoor setup and will make others envy your style. Trampolines can be stylish too, you know!
But don’t be fooled by its sleek appearance, this trampoline is built to last. It’s super sturdy and can handle a whopping 800 lbs. That means you can have multiple people on it, like your gym buddies, Uncle Joe, or even a pet elephant, without any worries. Although it’s not recommended to have more than one person bouncing at a time, it just shows you how strong it is.
And guess what? The Skybound 10′ by 17′ trampoline comes with a 10-year limited warranty. That’s a long time! You can bounce away for a whole decade knowing that any issues will be taken care of. They really stand behind their product and want you to be happy.
Now, let’s talk assembly. We all know how frustrating it can be to put things together, especially when springs are involved. But fear not! Setting up this trampoline is super easy and user-friendly. Even if you’re not a pro at following instructions, you’ll have it up and ready to go in no time. No more delays, just quick setup and fun.
This trampoline is perfect for experienced gymnasts who want to take their skills to new heights. With its spacious jumping surface and strong build, it’s like a playground for passionate gymnasts.
So, if you want a trampoline that’s big, durable, stylish, and perfect for gymnastics, this Skybound 10′ by 17′ trampoline is the one for you.
If you have younger gymnasts around the ages of 5 to 7 years old, they may not feel the benefit of the huge size so you may want to opt for a slightly smaller and less expensive option like the Giantex trampoline below.
If you are looking for great quality but don’t want to spend $2,000 plus then Giantex is for you. Giantex is a well-established brand that you can trust and their trampolines are durable.
You’ll get all the safety features you would expect on a high-end product such as the ladder, safety enclosure and thick padding.
The only drawback is the slightly shorter length of 14 feet compared with some trampolines that stretch as far as 18 or 20 feet. This won’t be an issue for younger children but those around 11 or 12 years or older will begin to feel limited by the space. The extra two or three feet are more noticeable when trying to link two skills together like a round-off and back handspring.
Giantex offers two color options: orange and blue. Both look good but not as stylish as other more expensive brands such as JumpKing. But if you’re looking for value for money, something has to give.
Happy Trampoline is in the business of making trampolines aimed at gymnasts and although they are not cheap, they are well worth the investment. Their rectangular trampoline range extends up to 10′ by 20′ which is possibly the longest on the market though they do offer smaller versions as well as round and square-shaped versions too.
The rectangular option features 3mm thick galvanized steel frames which are comparable to FIG standard competition trampolines. Many reviewers point out that this gives an added feeling of safety and durability.
The strong frame means that up to 750 Ibs of weight can be supported at once. So although we don’t recommend having multiple people on at once for safety reasons, it does illustrate the quality of the design and manufacturing.
There has been feedback questioning the design of the safety netting as some gaps can appear near the top of the net if not assembled correctly.
However, if you are looking for something on the large side that’s top of the range, then Happy Trampoline is for you. Just make sure you have enough room to fit it all in!
Admittedly we have only been recommending rectangular trampolines for gymnastics so far but for the last pick and best alternative here is a round trampoline 12 feet in diameter.
Maybe you don’t have the room for a large rectangular trampoline or you just prefer the look of a round trampoline. Either way, Alley Oop is one of the best-known brands for outdoor trampolines so it made sense to share our view on their product.
Alley Oop is known for providing a great quality bounce and overall quality of their trampolines. The stitching on the padding is very good and will last a long time.
In fact, there is a lifetime warranty on their trampolines which illustrates a great level of confidence in what they sell.
One drawback is the fact some accessories such as the step ladder have to be purchased separately. However, as a mid-price range product, the cost overall including accessories such as this still won’t break the bank.
Tips for Using a Trampoline for Gymnastics
Using a trampoline for gymnastics requires proper techniques and precautions to ensure safety and maximize performance. Here are some essential tips:
- Always supervise children and beginners when using a trampoline.
- Clear the surrounding area of any hazards or obstacles.
- Remove shoes.
- Check the safety netting and trampoline frame for signs of damage or wear and tear.
Proper Warm-up and Stretching
Techniques and Exercises
Learn and practice basic gymnastics shapes suited for trampoline use, such as tuck, pike, and straddle. Follow proper progressions and consult with a qualified coach for guidance.
Maintenance and Care for Trampolines
To ensure the longevity and optimal performance of your trampoline for gymnastics, consider the following maintenance and care tips:
Cleaning and Storage Tip
Regularly clean the jumping mat and frame with mild detergent and water. Remove debris or leaves from the springs or frame. When not in use, store the trampoline in a dry and covered area to protect it from weather elements.
Regular Inspections and Maintenance
Periodically inspect the trampoline for any signs of wear, loose parts, or damage. Tighten screws or bolts as needed. Replace worn-out or damaged parts promptly to maintain safety.
Replacement Parts and Repairs
If any component of your trampoline becomes damaged or worn out, ensure you can easily access replacement parts or professional repair services. This helps extend the lifespan of the trampoline and ensures its continued functionality.
Choosing the best trampoline for gymnastics must involve selecting a rectangular shape as it provides the most room to practice gymnastics-type skills. Whilst trampolines don’t have to be expensive, I recommend investing in a high-quality trampoline from a well-known brand as they will last for longer and provide a bigger bounce than some of the cheaper alternatives.
Here are some frequently asked questions about trampolines for gymnastics:
- Can I use any trampoline for gymnastics?
- While any shape trampoline can be used for basic gymnastics skills, it’s recommended to choose a rectangular shape trampoline for gymnastics. These trampolines usually offer better bounce quality and have more length to perform tumbling-type gymnastics skills.
- What size trampoline is suitable for gymnastics?
- The size of the trampoline depends on the available space and the gymnast’s skill level. For beginners or younger gymnasts, a smaller-sized trampoline, such as 8 to 10 feet in length, may be sufficient. Advanced gymnasts may require larger trampolines, ranging from 12 to 18 feet in length.
- Are there weight restrictions for trampolines used in gymnastics?
- Trampolines have weight capacity limits specified by the manufacturer. It’s essential to choose a trampoline that can safely accommodate the weight of the gymnast or multiple users if applicable. Always check the weight capacity and adhere to the recommended limits.
- How do I ensure the safety of my trampoline for gymnastics?
- Ensure your trampoline has safety features such as a sturdy frame, safety net enclosure, and padded edges. Follow safety guidelines, supervise users, and use appropriate safety equipment. Regularly inspect the trampoline for any signs of wear or damage. In-ground trampolines are safer than above-ground but will be more expensive as you will have to build a hole big enough to sink the trampoline into.
- Can adults use trampolines designed for gymnastics?
- Yes, trampolines designed for gymnastics can be used by adults as well. However, ensure the trampoline has a suitable weight capacity and meets the safety requirements for adult users.
Remember to choose a trampoline that meets your specific needs and preferences. Happy bouncing and enjoy your gymnastics training!
- The 12 Types of Trampoline (explained)Trampolines, a staple of joy and fitness, cater to all ages, inspiring kids and adults alike to leap out of their indoor routines into… Read more: The 12 Types of Trampoline (explained)
- Trampoline In The Olympics (History)Trampolining has followed a bumpy road on its quest for inclusion in the Olympic Games. From skepticism and roadblocks to breakthrough performances, trampoline athletes… Read more: Trampoline In The Olympics (History)
- The Top 9 Trampoline Health BenefitsTrampolining, once just a popular backyard activity, is now a serious fitness trend. It’s a fun way to get your body moving, burn calories,… Read more: The Top 9 Trampoline Health Benefits
- Are In Ground Trampolines Safer?Backyard trampolines are a fantastic way to keep children of all ages happy, healthy and busy. Choosing the safest type of trampoline for your… Read more: Are In Ground Trampolines Safer?
- How to Winterize A Trampoline (guide)Winter is not just a season of snow and cozy firesides; it’s also a time when our beloved outdoor equipment needs extra care to… Read more: How to Winterize A Trampoline (guide)
- How to Choose a Trampoline (guide)In this guide, we’ll bounce through the essentials of how to choose a trampoline, from size and shape to durability and bounce quality, ensuring… Read more: How to Choose a Trampoline (guide)
Last Updated on February 20, 2024 by Andrew Payne